Smart metering and beyond-the-meter technologies are challenging the utility monopoly model. Now, regulated utilities must re-think their customer relationships as a revitalized retail sector...
An Expensive Experiment? RTO Dollars and Sense
order, "Accepting for Filing and Suspending Cost Recovery Proposal, Subject to Refund and Establishing Hearing", , 10/13/1999.
Operating Costs, Amortization, Depreciation, and Interest Expense: 1998-2002 (FERC Form 1 submissions); 2003 (, 12/31/2003 Note: Actual 2003 numbers - unaudited); 2004 (, 9/18/03).
Annual Energy: 1998 (, November 2001); 1999-2001 (, April 2003); 2002-2003 ( from the Office of Market Analysis, April 2004); 2004 (Proposed FY2004 , 9/18/03).
Staffing Levels: 2000-2001 (FERC Form 1 submissions); 2002 (, 10/16/2002, Note: "revised and approved staffing" level); 2003 (, 12/31/2003); 2004 (, 9/18/2003 Note: projected FTE).
Startup Costs: , 4/23/1998.
Operating Costs, Amortization, Depreciation, and Interest Expense: 2000-2003 (); 2004 (2004 Texas PUC rate filing ).
Annual Energy: 2000-2004 (2004 Texas PUC rate filing -, Note: 2001-2002 are actuals, 2003 is part actual and part budgeted and 2004 is budgeted).
Staffing Levels: 2000, 2001, 2003 (); 2002 (Estimate based on rate filing information); 2004 (2004 Texas PUC rate filing [Docket # 28832]).
Startup costs: , 3/11/2002.
Operating Costs, Amortization, Depreciation, and Interest: 2000-2003 (Corresponding Annual Reports); 2004 (, 3/18/2004, Note: original budget from MISO , 12/10/03).
Annual Energy: MISO does not collect or compute annual energy demand at this time. An estimate of MISO's annual demand provided in the EIA cost benefit report entitled , April 2003, p.14.
Staffing Levels: 2000 ( [RT01-87-000]; 1/16/2001); 2001, 2002, 2004 (, 12/10/2003.); 2003 ().
Startup Costs: MISO
Operating Costs, Amortization, Depreciation, and Interest Expense: 1999-2002 (); 2003 (, 1/12/04); 2004 (, 9/30/2003).
Annual Energy: Demand Overview section of Ontario IMO's Web page:
Staffing Levels: 2000, 2002 ( 2001-2003, 11/13/2000); 2002 (); 2003-2004 (, 9/30/2003 Note: 2003 is projected, 2004 is budgeted).
Startup Costs: , 11/13/2000.
Total U.S. Annual Demand:
North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC) 2003 Electricity Supply and Demand Database.
- The California Independent System Operator (California ISO), New York ISO (NY-ISO), Pennsylvania-New Jersey-Maryland Interconnection (PJM), Midwest ISO (MISO), ISO New England (ISO-NE) and the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT). "RTO" is used in this article as a general term to include both regional transmission operators and independent system operators.
- 1997 PJM FERC Form 1 Submission (2003 dollars); Approved 2004 Budget and Service Category Rates, 10/28/2003.
- 2000 Annual Report; Updated 2004 Budget Presentation, 3/18/2004.
- ISO-NE 1998 Annual Report (2003 dollars); ISO-NE March Forecast for End of Year 2004, March 2004 (2004 dollars).
- Many of the RTOs do not consistently report staffing levels. Whenever staffing data reported consultants they were excluded, so that the data as closely as possible represents the core staff of each organization.
- MISO does not collect or compute annual energy demand, so this is based on an estimate taken from Energy Information Administration report, , April 2003, p.14 Table 3.2.
- Once MISO's wholesale market design is in place, it will calculate annual energy.
- 18 CFR Part 35, Order No. 2000, , pp. 95-96.
- Calculated using RTO/ISO annual demand levels (data sources by ISO/RTO in endnotes) and projected 2004 U.S. annual demand reported in the North American Electric Reliability Council's (NERC) 2003 Electricity Supply and Demand Database.
- p. 91.