From the Fukushima disaster and its repercussions, to the raging battle over new EPA regulations, 2011 was one of the most volatile years on record for the electric power business. Will 2012 be...
East Vs. West: Growing the Grid
The models and motives behind tomorrow’s transmission expansion.
2005, 111 FERC ¶61,308.
6. See, Prepared Direct Testimony of J. Craig Baker, FERC Docket No. EL05-121, p. 22, filed Sept. 30, 2005.
7. See, Prepared Direct Testimony of Dennis W. Bethel, FERC Docket No. EL05-121, pp. 14-18, and Exhibit AEP-204, filed Sep. 30, 2005.
8. See, Testimony of Karl Pfirrmann, FERC Docket No. AD05-3, June 24, 2005.
9. For background on the Frontier Line, see www.westernroundtable. com/energy/Frontier_Line_backgrounder.pdf . For updates on project status, see also http://psc.state.wy.us/htdocs/subregional/updates.htm.)
10. See, www.northernlightstransmission.com.
11. See APS New Release at www.aps.com/general_info/newsrelease/newsreleases/ NewsRelease_300.html . For technical presentation and analysis, refer to the “STEP” process—“Southwest Transmission Expansion Plan”— at the California ISO, at http://www.caiso.com/docs/2002/11/04/ 2002110417450022131.html , and the company’s presentation at a Cal-ISO meeting on Oct. 28, 2005 meeting, at http://www.caiso.com/ 14bc/14bcead62520.pdf .
12. (See, 70 Fed.Reg.36647, Sept. 28, 2005. See also, West-wide Energy Corridor Programmatic EIS Information Center, at http://corridoreis.anl.gov.
13. Wyo. Stats. sec. 37-5-303(a)
14. See WGA Policy Resolution 05-07, June 14, 2005.
15. See North Dakota House Bill 1169, regular session commencing Jan. 4, 2005. See also, comments of Jerry Lein, Analyst, N.D. Pub. Serv. Comm’n, submitted at FERC technical conference, “Promoting Regional Transmission Planning and Expansion to Facilitate Fuel Diversity,” Charleston, W.Va., May 13, 2005, FERC Docket No. AD05-3.
16. See Cal. P.U.C. Decision 06-02-032, Feb. 16, 2006.
17. See, Integrated Energy Policy Report, CEC-100-2005-007-CMF, November 2005, p. E-14.
18. See Cal. P.U.C. I.05-09-005, 2005.
19. See Affidavit of Gary Allen, filed March 24, 2005, FERC Docket No. EL05-80.
20. See Order on Petition for Declaratory Order, Docket No. EL05-80, July 1, 2005, 112 FERC ¶61,014.
21. See, for example, “Importing Power, Fostering Pollution: Four-State Electric Line Encourages Coal-Fired Plants,” San Francisco Chronicle, May 15, 2005.
22. See Clean Coal Technology and California Energy Policy, John Neilsen, Western Resource Advocates, Aug. 17, 2005, at www.westernresourceadvocates.org.
23. Comments of Wyoming Infrastructure Authority on Advance Coal Technologies and Recommended GHG Performance Standard, filed Oct. 5, 2005, available at http://www.wyia.org/Docs/Comments/CA%20Comments%2010-05-05.pdf.
24. For a comprehensive 70-page analysis of California imports of coal-fired electric generation from across the West, see “Clearing California’s Coal Shadow from the American West,” J. Milford, J. Nielsen, V. Patton, N. Ryan, V. White, C. Copeland, Western Resource Advocates, Environmental Defense, Center for energy Efficiency and Renewable Technologies, August 2005, at www.westernresources.org/media/pdf/CA%20Coal%20Shadow.pdf.