Nuclear fuel cost projections typically consist of current reported costs that are escalated at the rate of inflation. These projections usually consist of a single estimate in each year. In the...
Nuclear Fuel Future
Nuclear power cost projections should incorporate fuel cost uncertainties.
of fuel price scenarios will be useful in resource planning for regulated utilities and for investment decision making for merchant plants.
The use of scenarios may show that nuclear plant economics are acceptable across all nuclear-fuel-price scenarios. However, high-price scenarios may mean new nuclear plants will need to undertake some additional efforts to manage future fuel costs. In some cases, it might even mean the nuclear plant investment should be reconsidered.
In either case, knowledge about the potential impact of nuclear fuel costs will inform the significant investment decisions that now are being considered.
1. “ Nuclear Fuel: A New Market Dynamic ,” Edward Kee; The Electricity Journal , December 2007; Vol 20/10 pp 54-64.
2. The Future of Nuclear Power, An Interdisciplinary MIT Study , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2003.
3. Public Service Commission of Wisconsin, Docket No. 6630-EI-113, Exhibit JAS/DAW-1, page 13.
4. Florida Public Service Commission, Docket No. 07 0650-EI, Florida Power & Light Co. , Appendix E.
5. Annual Energy Outlook 2007 with Projections to 2030 , Fig. 65, Energy Information Administration.