Photovoltaic technologies are beginning to appear more attractive than concentrated solar thermal plants. PV’s competitiveness is improving from technical and operational advancements, as well as...
PV vs. Solar Thermal
Distributed solar modules are gaining ground on concentrated solar thermal plants.
4. Southern California Edison’s Advice Letter 2198-E requesting CPUC approval for RPS-compliant PPA with FSE Blythe 1, LLC and CPUC Resolution E-4118 adopting 2007 Market Price Referent (MPR).
5. Zweibel, Ken, et al. , “A Solar Grand Plan,” Scientific American 298, No. 1, 2008.
6. NM Central Station Solar Power: Feasibility Study , Presented to the New Mexico Public Regulation Commission, March 20, 2008.
7. Multi-client EPRI CSP Feasibility Study , Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), Summary presented to the New Mexico Public Regulatory Commission, March 20, 2008 (“EPRI Report”)
8. Avery, Christopher, et al., Good Intentions, Unintended Consequences: Arizona Legal Studies Discussion Paper No. 07-08 , Central Arizona Groundwater Replenishment District, February 2007. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=965047.
9. Powers Engineering response to Renewable Energy Transmission Initiative Phase 1A Report , April 2008.
10. Phase 1A Draft Report , Renewable Energy Transmission Initiative, March 2008. Available at: http://www.energy.ca.gov/2008publications/ RETI-1000-2008-002/RETI-1000-2008-002- D-REDLINE.PDF .
11. EPRI Report: The study did not determine the additional cost reduction when accelerated depreciation is included.
12. First Solar Annual Report 2006, Available at: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1274494/000095015307000576/0000950153-07-000576-index.htm.
13. The ability of a solar energy project to sell power at a given price ultimately depends on the quality of the solar resource and ambient temperature at a given location. The same price might not be feasible at other locations. The 2007 Market Price Referent values adopted by the California Public Utilities Commission can be found at: http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/WORD_PDF/FINAL_RESOLUTION/73594.PDF.
14. Final Report on the O&M Improvement Programs for CSP Plants , SAND9-1290, June 1999.
15. Hansen, Thomas N, “The Promise of Utility Scale Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Distributed Generation, Tucson Electric Power,” Presented at POWER-GEN International 2003, December 10, 2003, p. 12; H. Price and D. Kearney, “Reducing the Cost of Energy from Parabolic Trough Solar Power Plants,” Presented at the ISES 2003-International Solar Energy Conference, Hawaii, March 16–18, 2003, p.4 ; National Solar Technology Roadmap: CdTe PV , NREL /MP-520-41736 (4); and Patnode, Angela M., Simulation and performance evaluation of parabolic trough solar power plants , MSc Thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2006, pp.171-176.
16. Levelized Cost of Energy Analysis , Lazard, January 4, 2008.