PUCs are concerned that a rapid shutdown of coal-fired plants will start a full-tilt dash to gas—similar to the one that caused bankruptcies among independent power producers in the late 1990s and...
Securitization, Mach II
Green investments require bulletproof financing.
in the United States 2006 , Energy Information Administration, November 2007, available at: ftp://ftp.eia.doe.gov/pub/oiaf/1605/cdrom/pdf/ggrpt/057306.pdf.
32. For example, the Carbon Financial Instrument traded on the Chicago Climate Exchange (CCX). For more information regarding such instrument, see: http://www.chicagoclimatex.com/.
33. See, for example, the press release regarding the agreement by Sierra Club with Kansas City Power & Light, Mar. 20, 2007 and available at: http://www.sierraclub.org/pressroom/releases/pr2007-03-20.asp.
34. See, for example, “ Emotions High as Sides Collide at Coal-Plant Hearing ,” The Gazette , Jan. 14, 2008.
35. See, for example, the denial by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment of a required air permit for the expansion of an existing coal plant near Holcomb, Kansas.
36. Available at: ftp://ftp.nerc.com/pub/sys/all_updl/docs/pubs/LTRA2007.pdf (herein, the “NERC Reliability Report”).
37. See, Finding 1 of the NERC Reliability Report at p.10.
38. Ibid, p.10.
39. See, Finding 2 of the NERC Reliability Report at p.13.