Ultracapacitors and batteries work together to solve power quality problems.
Transmission expansion is only part of the remedy for system constraints.
operates as part of its district and heating cooling system that supplies Manhattan.
2. The FERC has taken the first step to requiring more transmission planning in its recently released Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that contemplates building transmission that may be necessary for public policy needs. Docket No. RM10-23-000, 131 FERC ¶ 61,253, Transmission Planning and Cost Allocation by Transmission Owning and Operating Public Utilities (June 17, 2010). Comments on this NOPR were due on August 30, after the deadline date for this article.
3. See NYPSC Case No. 07-M-0548, Proceeding on Motion of the Commission Regarding an Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard, Order Establishing Energy Efficiency Portfolio Standard And Approving Programs (June 23, 2008); NYPSC Case No. 03-E-0188 - Proceeding on Motion of the Commission Regarding a Retail Renewable Portfolio Standard, Order Establishing New RPS Goal and Resolving Main Tier Issues (Jan. 8, 2010).
4. Presentation on the NYISO wind integration study accessible at http://www.nyiso.com/public/webdocs/committees/bic_miwg/meeting_materials/2010-06-18/NYISO_Wind_Integration_Study_June_18_ Workshop_final_draft_6_14_10.pdf .
5. New York City has had a long standing reliance on clean natural gas, with a prohibition on coal-fired generation since 1972.
6. See FERC State of the Markets Report 2009 (April 15, 2010). Available at http://www.ferc.gov/market-oversight/st-mkt-ovr/som-rpt-2009.pdf.
7. FERC State of the Market Report , notes to slide 13.
8. There’s an additional 512-MW plant that would be located in Bayonne, New Jersey and would be electrically connected to New York City only that is also expected to commence operation in 2011.
9. See, e.g., New York City Energy Policy: An Electricity Resource Roadmap, prepared by the New York City Energy Policy Task Force, at 10 n. 5 (January 2004) accessible at http://www.nyc.gov/html/om/pdf/energy_ task_force.pdf .
10. 2009 Congestion Study , accessible at http://www.congestion09.anl.gov/.
11. The NYISO’s 2009 Economic Planning Study , accessible at http://www.nyiso.com/public/webdocs/services/planning/Caris_Report_Final/CARIS_Final_Report_1-19-10.pdf. The reliability study, accessible at http://www.nyiso.com/public/webdocs/newsroom/planning_reports/CRP__FINAL_5-19-09.pdf. ( Figure 1 derived from that study).