Customers in some markets are demanding the right to opt out of smart meter deployments. Their concerns involve radio frequency (RF) emissions and potential privacy breaches. Whether these...
Keeping Your Kilowatts Private
A survey of state policies on release of customer data.
user, including, but not limited to, the installation of demand side management measures at the end user’s premises, the maintenance, repair or replacement of appliances, lighting, motors or other energy-consuming devices at the end user’s premises, and the provision of energy consumption measurement and billing services.” Gas related services is defined as “a service that is directly related to the consumption of gas by an end user, including, but not limited to, the installation of demand side management measures at the end user’s premises; the maintenance, repair or replacement of appliances or other energy-consuming devices at the end user’s premises, and the provision of energy consumption management, analysis, and information management; and billing and bill payment services.” N.J. Stat. § 48:3-51; N.J.A.C. 14:4-1.2.
14. Md. Public Utilities Code Ann. § 7-505(b)(6); Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 20.53.07.02
15. COMAR 20.53.07.02
16. 52 Pennsylvania Code (Penn. Code) § 54.8(a), (b)
17. 52 Penn. Code § 54.8(a)(1-2)
18. 2011 Smart Grid Report to the Governor & Legislature , California Public Utilities Commission, December 2011.
19. California P.U.C. Decision 11-07-056, Docket R. 08-12-009, July 28, 2011, published at Re Smart Grid Techologies , 291 PUR4th 412.
20. 2011 Smart Grid Legislation (Updated July 2011), National Conference of State Legislatures.
21. Colorado Public Utilities Commission Order in Docket No. 10R-799E, 2011; Nicole Friess, “ Colorado PUC Holds Hearing on Smart Grid Privacy Rules ,” Oct. 18, 2011.
22. In the Matter of Proposed Rules Related to Smart Grid Data Privacy for Electric Utilities , Colorado P.U.C. Decision C11-1144, Docket No. 10R-799E, adopted Oct. 17, 2011; and Order Addressing Applications for Rehearing , adopted Dec. l7, 2011.
23. Oklahoma Engrossed House Bill No. 1072 , at §§ 3.8-9, 4.A.
24. Id. at §§ 5, 6.