The Regulation of Public Utilities
Classic reference, previously out of print, available again in response to customer demand!
An indispensable reference for anyone seeking a clear guide to the development of regulations for today's utility industries.
The changing nature of the business of America's public utilities has been accompanied by modifications to the economic and legal concepts underlying public utility regulation. Since the publication of the first edition of The Regulation of Public Utilities, utility executives, regulators and students of regulation have turned to this reference as their guide to public utilities in the American economy.
Dr. Charles F. Phillips, Jr., reviews and analyzes the development of economic regulation, emphasizing both past and possible future issues confronting the public utility sector. The third edition provides an overview of the evolution of public utility regulation and reflects on the future direction of regulatory policies. In addition, this volume contains a list of some of the most historically significant commission rulings and court decisions affecting public utilities.
The last printing sold out! Don't wait! Order your copy today!
AVAILABILITY: This title usually ships within 1 to 2 weeks.
Table of Contents
1. Public Utilities in the American Economy
Part One: The Economic, Legal, and Administrative Concepts of Public Utillity Regulation
2. The Economic Concepts of Regulation
3. Legal Concepts of Public Utility Regulation
4. Independent Regulatory Commissions
Part Two: The Theory of Public Utility Regulation
5. The Goals, Procedures, and Theories of Public Utility Regulation
6. Accounting and Finance
7. Operating Expenses, Depreciation, and Taxes
8. The Rate Base
9. The Rate of Return
10. The Rate Structure
11. The Rate Structure (Continued)
12. Service, Safety, and Management Efficiency
Part Three: The Public Utility Industries
13. The Electric Power Industry
14. The Natural Gas Industry
15. The Telecommunications Industry
16. The Water Industry
Part Four: An Appraisal -- and a Challenge
17. An Appraisal of Regulation
Index of Cases
Index of Names
Index of Subjects