Public Utilities Reports GUIDE
The Standard Educational Tool for Training
You Choose: Participate in the New Online Platform or Use the Printed Version!*
For a limited time, take advantage of deep discounts for bulk purchases of Guide Training Programs.
Purchase any quantity between 5 and 9 program units and apply a 10 percent discount (Coupon Code GUIDE10) to your order.
Purchase 10 or more and apply a 20 percent discount (Coupon Code GUIDE20) to your order.>
The PUR Guide is a training manual and reference work in one, explaining all the basic principles needed to succeed in the utility industry.
Our new on-line platform includes an embedded glossary for students unfamiliar with specific terminology as well as links to separate texts for further explanation of certain topics.
This special program, developed by PUR's knowledgeable editors along with outside professionals, is a self-study course ideal for those new to the utility industry, yet it also is designed to keep even seasoned employees abreast of ongoing changes, especially in these times of restructuring, deregulation, and re-regulation.
Learning Outcomes of PUR Guide
The student of the PUR Guide program will be able to:
- Identify basic operating characteristics of public utility industries including electricity, natural gas, telecommunications, and water.
- Explain the differences between regulated and non-regulated industries.
- Appreciate the importance of public utility service in the U.S. economy.
- Recognize the "regulatory compact" between government and private industry, which includes regulated profits and "on demand" service obligations.
- Explain how utility services are delivered to the end user/customer.
- Describe the utility ratemaking process employed by state and federal regulators.
- Recognize basic accounting principles used by utility companies.
- Discuss financing activities used by utility companies and the relationship of regulation, ratemaking, and attraction of capital.
- Describe the various organizational structures employed by utility companies.
- Explain how marketing and competition activities used by regulated industries differ from those of non-regulated industries.
This expanded and revised version provides crucial information on:
- New developments in transmission policy and cost allocation, including FERC Order 1000.
- Recent changes in U.S. environmental policy including mandatory RPS requirements.
- Updates on nationwide electric grid
- Updated discussion of nuclear power
- Changes in FERC merger policy, and more.
The Guide program is composed of eight sections, each of which covers a different critical topic:
- Public Utilities
- Delivery of Service
- Rates and Rate Making
- Organization and Management
- Market Issues
Also included is a Reference section, which offers a comprehensive glossary and bibliography.
And to help enhance your education, each PUR Guide program includes a one-year subscription to Public Utilities Fortnightly, a $287.00 value
*The Midterm and Final Exams are available on-line only.
Three Package Options
Basic Package Features ($595.00)
- A 3-month pass will full access to all course material including links.
- A one-year subscription to Public Utilities Fortnightly magazine, a $287.00 value.
Basic Package Features + Print Version ($645.00)
- A soft-bound copy of the Guide course material is available for just $50 more.
Gold Package Features ($750.00)
- Extends the study period to 4 months
- A soft-bound copy of the Guide course material
- A two-year subscription to Public Utilities Fortnightly magazine
- Two of the field's most important texts: The Fundamentals of Energy Regulation and The Priniciples of Utility Corporate Finance by Jonathan Lesser, Ph.D. and Leonard Giacchino, Ph.D
These upgraded features, worth more than $500, are yours for just $150.00 extra!
Training Group Mission Statement
The mission of the Public Utilities Reports, Inc. Training Group is to provide high-quality training for utility employees, both new to the industry and veterans. The training group is committed to providing accurate, timely and consistent feedback to any inquiries by participants. Please contact us at any time at 1-800-368- 5001 or via email at email@example.com.