Advanced metering may be the future of meter reading, but as utilities grapple with implementation costs and technical issues, it’s in their best interest to maximize meter reading done the old-...
Advanced Metering Infrastructure Special Report: Where's the Beef?
What do customers get from AMI investments?
AMI likely will depend on consumers seeing a tangible difference and benefit from AMI—in at least one, if not more, of these areas. The solution is not the unknowable perfect plan to achieve every one of these AMI benefits. Instead, it begins simply with a consideration for the consumer and what he or she will experience differently as a result of AMI.
1. See CPUC decisions D.06-07-027 and D.07-04-043.
2. Ontario Energy Board Smart Price Pilot Final Report , July 2007.
3. Narula, R. et al. Incremental Cost of CO2 Reduction in Power Plants ,
Proceedings of IGTI ASME TURBO EXPO 2002.
4. Barbose, G. Environmental Impact of Dynamic Pricing, Report in CE 268E, UC Berkeley, May 2003.
5. This is an estimate calculated based on actual customer usage and California dispatch priorities, and provides the average point at which the individual consumer’s load crosses the system threshold at which coal plants are dispatched. Actual daily dispatch will vary, of course.
6. Derived from Marnay, C. et al., Estimating Carbon Dioxide Emissions Factors for the California Electric Power Sector . Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Paper LBNL-49945, August 2002.
7. Ofgem, Press Release, First Trials of Smart Energy Meters in Britain Are To Begin , July 12, 2007.
8. King, C. “Integrating Residential Dynamic Pricing and Load Control: the Literature.” EnergyPulse, Dec. 14, 2004.