As Congress mulls omnibus climate-change legislation, questions are arising about the potential for greenhouse gas emissions markets to be manipulated. Current legislation attempts to address the...
and strengthen safety and security for staff and inmates at the 600-bed prison. Honeywell guarantees savings under a 10-year performance contract. Honeywell expects to complete the upgrades in the first half of 2011, with additional improvements planned to start by year’s end.
Bluestone Energy Services was selected by New Hampshire’s Pay for Performance (P4P) Program as an energy efficiency partner. The Pay for Performance Program is funded by proceeds from the auction of carbon allowances through New Hampshire’s participation in the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI). Bluestone Energy recently completed an energy conservation project for Stonewall Kitchen’s Rochester, N.H. distribution center. The project saved 520,000 kWh and earned over $50,000 in utility incentives from PSNH.
Ameresco signed an energy saving performance contract with Monroe County (Mississippi) school district for six schools and facilities totaling 368,000 square feet. Initiatives include boiler replacements, lighting upgrades and water conservation measures. An ARRA grant provided 25 percent of total costs associated with the performance contract, with the other 75 percent being funded through a tax-exempt lease and paid for out of guaranteed energy savings.
EVs & Storage
DTE Energy selected SPX Service Solutions to provide turnkey electric vehicle (EV) home charging installation services for up to 2,500 residential customers participating in the utility’s EV rate pilot program. The program offers lower rates for customers to charge EVs, as well as company-provided charging stations and funding toward installation. SPX is expected to manage all aspects of home charging, including home surveys, 240-volt charging station installations, permitting, inspections, coordination with the utility, and post-installation services.
Reno Contracting entered into a strategic alliance with Envision Solar to build integrated solar parking arrays for EVs in locations throughout the Southwest. Plans call for a first project during 2Q 2011.
Energetix Pnu Power developed a range of compressed air batteries as direct replacements for conventional battery and flywheel power backup systems. Supplied as plug-and-play units from 3 kW to 200 kW, the batteries have been deployed by National Grid in the U.K. and United States. Energetix says the systems can be driven from industry standard compressed air cylinders with an auto compressor for recharging, or plant mains air supplies. Pnu Power has also developed a containerized backup power system using a compressed air battery and a diesel generator.
Prudent Energy received a grant from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) toward construction and operation of a Vanadium Redox battery energy storage system (VRB-ESS) with SunPower’s PV systems. The grant and construction of the system will be completed in cooperation with SunPower, Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), KEMA and Sandia National Laboratories. Prudent’s VRB-ESS energy storage system works similarly to a rechargeable fuel cell, where chemical energy is converted into electrical energy in a quick manner.
Smart Grid and T&D
Larson Electronics introduced the Magnalight MGS-DC-30KVA-480-220-110, a heavy duty power distribution substation that converts single-phase or three-phase 480V AC electrical current to single-phase 120V AC and 240V AC. The substation is designed to supply current for operating equipment and lighting in areas where connection to native power is unavailable or not desired.