Public Utilities Fortnightly Editor-in-Chief Steve Mitnick spent a day with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. It was a real long day in Columbus but only because the PUC worked Mitnick hard, with thirteen interviews back to back to back to back, etc. He and sidekick Matt Schilling, the PUC's Deputy Director of Public Affairs, went from room to room it seemed and had conversations with all five Commissioners and ten members of Staff.
Ohio's commission is one of the most important in the country, regulating four major investor-owned electric utilities and many other natural gas, water and transportation companies. Its initiative on regulating for the future of electricity, called PowerForward, has been closely watched.
We start with PUC Chair Asim Haque, one of the most respected thought leaders in regulation today. Read on and get a taste of that long but great day in Columbus.
- Chair Asim Haque
- Vice-Chair Beth Trombold
- Commissioner Dan Conway
- Commissioner Larry Friedeman
- Commissioner Tom Johnson
- Bethany Allen, Chief Commission Aide
- Hisham Choueiki, Federal Energy Advocate
- Angela Hawkins, Chief Legal Counsel
- Jeff Jones, Telecom/Ohio Power Siting Board Section, Chief Legal Division
- Alan Martin, Deputy Director, Transportation Department
- Howard Petricoff, Chief Analyst
- Greg Price, Electric Section Chief, Legal Department
- Kristina Schaefer, Chief, Grid Modernization and Security
- Tammy Turkenton, Director, Rates and Analysis Department
- John Williams, Director, Service Monitoring and Enforcement Department