Steve Mitnick is President of Lines Up, Inc., Editor-in-Chief of Public Utilities Fortnightly, and author of “Lines Down: How We Pay, Use, Value Grid Electricity Amid the Storm.”
The PUF team traveled to Des Moines, Iowa, the home of the Iowa Utilities Board, which got its start in 1878 as the Iowa Board of Railroad Commissioners, and later the Iowa State Commerce Commission. The Board is housed in an amazing model energy efficient office building located on the State Capitol Complex. It was granted the highest certification, LEED Platinum, from the U.S. Green Building Council.
Those attending NARUC's Mid-America Regulatory Conference in Des Moines in August will enjoy the juxtaposition of that modern Board building with the Iowa State Capitol, tour included, with MARC registration. The Iowa Capitol building is renowned for its golden dome, truly covered in 23-carat gold.
But there's more. Attend MARC and besides getting up to date on the latest regulatory happenings, and rubbing shoulders with NARUC President and Iowa Board Member Nick Wagner, featured here, you will go to a minor league Iowa Cubs game. As of this writing, the team is in first place in the American Northern Division. Not bad.
And perhaps best for last, the iconic Iowa State Fair waits for you. Enjoy these interviews with the Iowa Utilities Board Members and Staff as you anticipate summer fun whether in Des Moines or your hometown.
Iowa Utilities Board Conversations:
- Chair Geri Huser
- Board Member Richard Lozier, Jr.
- Board Member Nick Wagner
- Chief Operating Officer Louis Vander Streek
- General Counsel Samantha Norris
- Regulatory Law Manager Bernardo Granwehr
- Senior Attorney Cecil Wright
- Regulatory Analysis Manager Jon Tack
- Engineering Manager Beverly Ohman
- Customer Service Manager Marie Jeanblanc
- Business Manager Carla Pope
- Communications Manager Don Tormey
- Legislative Liaison Anna Hyatt